Dairy Free Dulce de Leche

Since jumping on the dairy-free bandwagon this past summer I have had to modify quite a few of my favorite recipes. Dulce de Leche is one of the things that I just haven't been able to find a substitute for without making it at home. If anyone knows of a store brand dulce de leche please let me know. For now I will continue making this recipe and enjoying the sweet aroma that fills my house!

INGREDIENTS:

  •  2 14-once cans unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

 PREPARATION:

Whisk coconut milk, sugar, and coarse salt in heavy large skillet over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. I stand next to the stove and watch my favorite show on Netflix because if I walk away the dulce de leche can easily scald. The sauce should be reduced in about 30 minutes and will thicken in the refrigerator. Transfer sauce to small glass jars and cool completely. 




Comments