Red, White and Blueberries Chocolate Flan Cake
I'm sharing my favorite (modified) cake recipe!
Chocolate Flan Cake, also known as "el pastel imposible" or "chocoflan"
This time I used a red velvet cake mix to save time, rather than making the mix from scratch.
Here's what you'll need:
Mini fluted cake pan
non-stick baking spray (I recommend Wilton)
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 C. fresh milk
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (10.9 oz.) jar cajeta (caramel topping) or Smucker's caramel topping or homeade cajeta
Fresh blueberries-washed and patted dry
whipped cream (if desired)
Red Velvet cake mis-boxed works fine or you can use your favorite recipe
any ingredients to make the cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini fluted pan with nonstick coating
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Using an ice cream scoop, fill the cavities of the mini fluted cake pan to almost half.
- To make the flan, pour condensed milk, evaporated and fresh milk into a blender with the cream cheese, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well. Pour the flan mixture very slowly over the cake batter. Cover the pan TIGHTLY with aluminum foil.
- Set the mini fluted cake pan into a larger pan on the middle oven rack and slide in. Pour hot water into the larger pan at a depth of 2 inches (The mini fluted pan will be sitting in the water-this method is called "bano Maria" or bain-marie.
- Bake for about 20 min; do not uncover during this time. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted through aluminum foil.
- Carefully remove cake pan from water and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Using a spoon or small spatula remove each chocoflan and cool completely. Drizzle with softened cajeta, blueberries and whipped cream just before serving.
Soften the cajeta in the jar in the microwave or run container under hot water. If you can't find cajeta or do not want to make your own, substitute Smucker's caramel topping, but the Mexican cajeta has a richer flavor.
Note: Even though the flan is poured on the top of the cake batter, it will sink to the bottom of the pan.
Makes between 36-48 mini cakes