Diaper bag ~ Pañalera
Before you begin:
Read all instructions
Press fabric before cutting
use a 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise directed
stitch fabrics right side together unless otherwise directed
fabric as follows:
for bag- 2 pieces 13 3/4" x 13"
pocket- 2 pieces 7 3/4" x 8"
gusset- 2 pieces 3 3/4" x 36"
inside/outside strap- 2 pieces 3 1/4" x 28 1/2"
1 yard cotton batting
basic sewing notions
- Pocket: Pin right sides of pocket together and stitch, leaving a 3" opening on one side for turning. Using scissors, carefully clip corners and trim. Turn right side out and press. Position pocket on bag outside, pin in place and topstitch 1/8" from the edge around sides and bottom.
- Main Body of Bag: Using bag components as a template, cut out batting as follows: 2 bag sides, 1 gusset, 1 strap. To make one bag side, place one bag outside and one bag lining right sides together with batting on the bottom and pin. Beginning in the middle of one of the sides, stitch around entire piece. Ending approximately 3" from the beginning to turn right side out. Using scissors, carefully clip curves approximately 1/2" apart. Turn right side out, making sure seams are flat and "opening" seam is to the inside 1/4", and press. Repeat to make other side.
(These are the main body pieces. Shown on the left is the shape of the top of the main body, shown below is how the bottom of the main body should be cut.)
- Strap: Place outside and inside strap pieces right sides together with batting on the bottom and pin long edges, leaving both ends open. Stitch both long sides. Turn and press.
- Gusset: Place outside and inside gusset pieces right sides together with batting on the bottom and pin long edges, leaving both ends open. Stitch both long sides. Turn and press. Fold ends toward inside 1/2" and press
- Add the Strap: Place each end of the strap into the open ends of the gusset 1/2" then topstitch.
- Main Bag Assembly: Sew the gusset to the bag sides as follows: Place inside together of one gusset and one bag side; match top edges of bag with seams that join gusset and strap. Pin generously, especially around curves. Starting at top corner of diaper bag, stitch layers together 1/4" from edge of fabric. Repeat to add the other side to the gusset.
This is the finished diaper bag, completely reversible!
instructions taken in part from: Go~Baby~Go Fabric Palette 2010